I’m running for U.S. Senate to fight for my fellow Wisconsinites and because multi-millionaires, billionaires and big corporations shouldn’t call all the shots. — Russ Feingold
When we’re asked to give an example of a true progressive, Russ Feingold is the first name that comes to mind.
From McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform, to his opposition to the Iraq war, to standing alone against the Patriot Act, Feingold has never hesitated to stand by his principles and stand up to Republicans or Democrats whenever necessary.
In 2010, Feingold lost his Senate seat to Tea Party leader Ron Johnson. It was an expensive race and an even more costly loss for Wisconsin and progressives everywhere. But Feingold is ready for a rematch against Johnson, the Tea Party and the Koch brothers.
Now we have the chance to make sure Russ Feingold can once again be a strong voice for progressives in the U.S. Senate – and we need his leadership now more than ever.
New York Mayor Bill de Blasio, Senator Jeff Merkley of Oregon and a coalition of progressive leaders launched The Progressive Agenda to Combat Income Inequality, kicking off a campaign to ensure progressive voices are heard throughout the 2016 election cycle.
At the core of The Progressive Agenda is the principle that our economy must work for all Americans, not just the super-wealthy.
“The Progressive Agenda comes down to a very simple concept – we need to reward work again,” said de Blasio. “We need to reward work, not wealth.”
To address the pressures faced by working families, the agenda focuses on raising wages, lowering the cost of child care and higher education, and pursuing tax fairness that will put more money in the pockets of working families while ensuring that the wealthiest pay their fair share.
“We need a strong foundation for every child and every working family to thrive,” said Merkley. “To do this, we need to restore an economy that works for working Americans.”
The Progressive Agenda
To Lift the Floor for Working People
1. Raise the federal minimum wage, so that it reaches $15/hour, while indexing it to inflation.
2. Reform the National Labor Relations Act, to enhance workers’ right to organize and rebuild the middle class.
3. Pass comprehensive immigration reform to grow the economy and protect against exploitation of low-wage workers.
4. Oppose trade deals that hand more power to corporations at the expense of American jobs, workers’ rights, and the environment.
To Support Working Families
5. Pass national paid sick leave.
6. Pass national paid family leave.
7. Make Pre-K, after-school programs and childcare universal.
8. Expand the Earned Income Tax Credit.
9. Allow students to refinance student loan debt to take advantage of lower interest rates.
To Ensure Tax Fairness
10. Close the carried interest loophole.
11. End tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas.
12. Implement the “Buffett Rule” so millionaires pay their fair share.
13. Close the CEO tax loophole that allows corporations to take advantage of “performance pay” write-offs.
Elizabeth Warren embodies the progressive spirit we want to see in more elected leaders. You can support our work to elect more progressives like her by ordering this limited edition “Elizabeth Warren Speaks for Me” T-shirt for a donation of $25.
Join more than 100,000 21st Century Democrats online
Make a contribution today to 21st Century Democrats
Tune into AmericasDemocrats.com, the weekly netcast for stand-up Democrats